Behind The Smiles: With Dr. Gina Dorfman
Join Dr. Gina Dorfman as she interviews some of the greatest minds in dentistry. From background stories to practice management and clinical topics, you’ll listen to valuable insights from the people who are doing extraordinary things in dentistry. This podcast is brought to you by YAPI, a paperless dental software company. Learn more at yapiapp.com.
Dr. Bao-Tran Nguyen, together with her husband, Dr. Nate Jeal, established not one but five dental practices before encountering a bit of burnout in the process. Since then, they have invested in mentors, learned how to be better business people and marketers, and learned the importance of focusing on what you enjoy doing while letting others handle what you don’t. You’ll also hear about how they started a side project growing practices, flipping them, and selling them, and how they have channeled what they have learned about marketing into their Fast Growth Practice program, a business advisory program.
Dr. Gina joins Irene and Katrina of the Tooth or Dare podcast for this special crossover episode sponsored by YAPI paperless automation software. Dr. Gina provides some much-needed triage of Irene’s difficult experiences in the nuances of managing her own new dental practice.
We cover some of these dental topics and much more:
- How do you bankrupt a dental office?
- How do you train staff to use new technology?
- What should discipline look like in a dental office?
- How can you tell when an employee is not a good fit?
In this episode of Behind The Smiles, Wendy Briggs, founder of Hygiene Diamonds, shares her 20-year journey helping dental practices to champion the role of the hygienist, developing hiring and onboarding processes, and how elevating patient service leads to increased production.
How to attract the right candidates in your hiring ads
The importance of core values for leading a dental practice
The 3 key roles of a hygienist
Creating an onboarding process
Request your free copy of Wendy’s book here: The Ultimate Guide to Doubling and Tripling Your Dental Practice Production. Wondering how developed your team culture and hiring process are? Complete Wendy’s Practice Pulse Scorecard in less than 10 minutes to see the results before booking a free consultation.
You can find the Double Your Dental Production podcast with Wendy Briggs, and Dr. John Meis “Love Your Practice,” on iTunes by clicking on our show notes.
Wendy Briggs reveals the secrets to boosting your practice’s production revolves around the right team, core values, and the powerful role a hygienist plays in elevating patient care.
Welcome back to another episode of Behind The Smiles with Dr. Gina Dorfman.
In this episode, Dr. Laura Mach joins us to talk about:
- Balancing dentistry with motherhood
- How coaching changed her life, her practice, and her employee's lives.
- How your brain and its habits form and affect the success of your practice.
- How to create a mindset of abundance
- How she coaches dentists to manage their thoughts around their practices
- How Dr. Gina started a software movement
- Why dressing up instantly helps to boost your mood and productivity
You can find Laura's podcast, “Love Your Practice,” on iTunes, YouTube, and Spotify here: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/love-your-practice/id1485030035
You can find Laura's website here to learn about her upcoming webinar on Feb 26th called, "How You Can Fall In Love With Your Practice by Simply Changing One Thing, here: http://www.loveyourpractice.net
Welcome back to another episode of Behind The Smiles! Today's episode features none other than entrepreneur, author, speaker, and business phenomenon, Mike Michalowicz. In this episode, Mike and Gina chat about...
- What is the defining component when a business doesn't need the owner?
- What is the goal of a four-week vacation? It's not about you taking a vacation from the business, but the business taking a vacation from YOU.
- How an owner and business relationship is more like that of conjoined twins than of a parent and child.
- How we solve the problem of being terrible at delegating to others
- What the QBR (Queen Bee Role) is and why every employee needs to know what that role is in your company.
You can find free chapters of Mike's books and resources here: https://mikemichalowicz.com
Welcome to another episode of Behind The Smiles. Today, Dr. Gina Dorfman chats with the founder of BoomCloud, a robust dental membership plan software that helps your practice create, organize and automate a dental membership program for your patients. In this episode, they share...
- What BoomCloud can do specifically for your team AND for your patients - why it is a Win-Win.
- How BoomCloud helps you to attract patients without insurance and reduce your dependence on PPO's.
- Why it's important to consider BoomCloud, especially in our post-COVID world.
You can learn more about BoomCloud here: https://boomcloudapps.com
In this episode of Behind The Smiles, Dr. Natanya Brown talks with Dr. Gina about managing our happiness and not taking out stress on food.
They also talk about...
- Using your brain to work for you and not against you
- How your habits form who you are
- How to have the right perspective for long term weight loss
- How weight loss is more than just diet and exercise
- Why insulin is one of the most important hormones in your body for weight loss
In this special crossover episode of Behind The Smiles, Dr. Gina Dorfman joins dental practice owner and incredibly insightful consultant, Kiera Dent.
Kiera and Dr. Gina chat about:
- Overcoming self-limiting beliefs
- Delegating Authority
- The $200 dollar rule / Executive Decision
- This year's Women Dentists Connect 2020 Virtual Summit! https://www.womendentistsconnect.com
Want to attend the Women Dentists Connect 2020 Virtual Summit? Dr. Gina Dorfman, will be speaking at the Summit on November 13th + 14th. If you’re a female dentist or practice owner who loves YAPI - join in and bring your team along! It's a VIRTUAL event, so make a weekend out of it at your office or from home. Can’t wait to see you there! P.S. the 50% off discount ends 10/31 so jump in at womendentistsconnect.com before then! Use code "GINA" to get BUY 1 GET 1 FREE ticket 50% off!
This week we have a special episode for you all...it is our 100th episode, and it is SUPER exciting to celebrate this episode with the CEO Whisperer and Business Growth Guru, Cameron Herold! By 35, he’d helped build his first two 100 Million Dollar companies. By the age of 42, Cameron had engineered 1-800-GOT-JUNK?’s spectacular growth from $2
Million to $106 Million in revenue in just six years.
In this episode, Dr. Gina and Cameron discuss...
- The power of delegating to others
- The top traits of entrepreneurs
- Why dentists need to expand their network outside of just dentistry
- Why business is easy once you get the proper training
- How group interviews help you to identify the strongest candidates for your work culture
- How hiring is like building a sports team
- Why you need to have 4-5 clear and easy to understand core values
- The importance of creating a "Vivid Vision" for your practice
...and much more!
If you'd like to learn more about Cameron, you can find out more here: https://www.cameronherold.com
You can listen to his podcast, "Second in Command: The Chief Behind The Chief," here: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/second-in-command-the-chief-behind-the-chief/id1368800817
You can find Cameron's books on Amazon here: https://www.amazon.com/Cameron-Herold/e/B00845CG2S?ref=sr_ntt_srch_lnk_1&qid=1603239455&sr=8-1
In this episode of Behind The Smiles, Dr. Gina Dorfman chats with Teresa Duncan, Dentistry's #1 Insurance and Revenue Coach, and leader of Odyssey Management.
Teresa gives us the scoop on...
- Communicating the quality of care - being proactive about giving patients a good experience.
- How to use your words to make patients feel secure and confident in you.
- How “we have found” and “in my experience” are two of the most reassuring phrases to your patients.
- Why it's critical to train your team more.
- The importance of allocating time to training.
- The best way for treatment coordinators to communicate with patients.
- How to successfully present a treatment plan.
- How to answer some of the most common patient questions, “Does my insurance cover that?” “Why is there a balance? "My insurance has paid you, why is there a balance?”
- Successful insurance tactics: How to get paid better and faster.
- Red flags to look out for when estimating patient balance and billing insurance.
Theresa gives free webinars on her website on how to be a good insurance coordinator. She also hosts two podcasts, "Nobody Told Me That" and "Chew On This Dental Podcast with Kevin Henry." You can find out more about Teresa on her website, http://www.odysseymgmt.com/about
Welcome back to Behind The Smiles. This week's episode features Brenda McNulty, Dental Group Director of supportDDS. She talks to us about team building and changing the way that dentists hire and train their teams. In this episode, Brenda teaches us:
- Why the term "team" is such an important term to use and how to hire for your team.
- Hiring the right person that supports your mission and vision of your practice.
- How to interview and specific questions to ask.
- Creating a culture in your office and how to be a leader in your practice.
- Fostering a positive attitude within your team.
You can contact Brenda McNulty at firstname.lastname@example.org or find more information about her here: https://www.dentalspeakersbureau.com/speaker/brenda-mcnulty/
In this week's episode, Debra Engelhardt-Nash joins us to talk about some amazing communication techniques and skills that will help you to gain patients, motivate your team, and reactivate patients in re-opening your practice.
Debra brings a human touch and compassion, as well as intelligent communication skills to the dentistry field. This episode includes practical, well-vetted tips from how to train your front office staff, to how to improve your communication as the dentist with your patients, to the big question we are all asking ourselves...how are we keeping our hygiene schedule full and our 2020 successful in September of this year?
In this episode of Behind The Smiles, our guest Christine Hammond joins Dr. Gina to talk about Christine's experience working as a dental scheduling coordinator for seven and a half years, as well as working for YAPI for two years. Christine clearly has a lot of experience working in the dental office and outside of the dental office to provide solutions for dentists and their teams.
Christine talks about how the little details matter in a dental office, strategies to gain online reviews, and how to avoid broken appointments and communicate with patients.
In today's episode, Dr. Vilas Sastry of teledentistry.com joins us to talk about the problems that teledentistry solves for you and your team, combats "no shows," & creates a more productive schedule in your office.
You can find Dr. Vilas Sastry and more about teledentistry by going here.
In this episode of Behind The Smiles, Dr. Ashley Joves of Smile & Co. joins us to talk about being authentic, humanizing social media, and communicating clearly with your team. In this honest and vulnerable episode, Dr. Ashley Joves talks about expressing gratitude towards your team, and that we are enough, as human beings and as dentists.
You can find Dr. Ashley Joves' practice, Smile & Co., here: https://smileandcompany.com
This week on Behind The Smiles, Dawn Kulongowski, DDS, joins us to talk about how 15 minutes of meditation a day is scientifically proven to change your life and your business, her journey in combining dentistry with mindfulness, and how to create the world and practice you want to see.
You can learn more about Dawn here, on "The Peaceful Practice" website: http://www.peacefulpractice.com
You can find Dawn's podcast here:
You can find Dawn's "Mindfulness For Professionals" Facebook group here:
Welcome back to Behind The Smiles! Jennifer Peace of Prosperity Dental Solutions joins us this week. Jennifer has worked in the business of dentistry for 24 years and uses her gifts and experience to offer unique, integrative coaching. In this episode, she shares with us how to:
1.) Identify what kind of leader you are
2.) Accentuate your strengths
3.) Work with a team that compliments you well
To learn more about Jennifer and the work that she does, visit her website: https://prosperitydentalsolutions.com
In this week's episode of Behind The Smiles, Dr. Gina Dorfman interviews her friend, fellow female dentist, and founder of "She Grows Her Practice," Dr. Cyndi Blalock. The two talk about balancing your job as a dentist with your job as a mom, giving yourself grace in the process, being present in every scenario, and taking the risk of investing in your team. They also talk about how uplifting another female dentist will in turn uplift yourself, and the amazing support in doing that in"She Grows Her Practice."
The link to Cyndi's dental practice: https://www.cardinaldentist.com/meet-the-doctors/
A video about "She Grows Her Practice": https://vimeo.com/284237877
In the time of crisis, our teams need strong leaders. Lead your team with a plan, not panic.
Dr. Gina Dorfman had the opportunity to interview Rachel Teel Wall of Inspired Hygiene. This is a very insightful interview in which Rachel shares her Five-Step Relaunch Plan.
1. Clinical Safety Plan
2. Scheduling Plan
3. Communication Plan
4. Financial Plan
5. Clinical Care and Diagnostic Plan
Please listen as you make plans to reopen your offices. Create a written protocol to get your team on the same page about your expectations. Spell out what measures you will be taking to keep everyone safe. Share any research or references that you are basing your plan on.
You can connect with Rachel directly by emailing her at email@example.com!
Inspired Hygiene Website link: https://www.inspiredhygiene.com/why-inspired-hygiene/
In this episode of Behind The Smiles, Dr. Gina Dorfman interviews the Sleep Apnea Queen herself and second-time guest, Dr. Erin Elliott. She's a member of the ADA, as well as the American Academy of Sleep Medicine, and the American Academy of Dental Sleep Medicine. Dr. Erin Elliott shares her journey in dentistry with us, how she balances being a dentist with being a mom without succumbing to "mom guilt," how to embrace your unique calling as a dentist, and much more.
- You learn more about Dr. Erin Elliott here: https://erinelliottdds.com/about
- You can sign up for one of Dr. Erin Elliott's live events here: https://www.eventbrite.com/o/dr-erin-elliott-9053808104
- And just for kicks, here is Dr. Erin Elliott's original dental sketch, "The Queen of Good Air: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtYqXfR21Z8